FREELANCE WRITING & PHOTOGRAPHY

Monday, May 12, 2014

Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival

This year's celebration of spring and the hundreds and thousands of migratory birds that return to Kachemak Bay each year has come and gone. I coordinated this event for 8 years, but left it to pursue other creative opportunities, namely my freelance career. 

Last year, during Festival weekend, I was in New York City so missed out on participating in events, but this year, I was in Homer and enjoyed numerous walks, talks and entertainment events. It was fun to engage with my former Festival committee members and especially, long-time participants who had become like family to me. It was the most fun to not be in charge of anything, and to be able to just play, although there were many bittersweet moments, remembering all the years of joy and challenges of working so hard to make this event such a success!














1 comment:

Lorrene said...

I'll have to come back to it someday soon! I was a Student Conservation Association volunteer at AMNWR and got to participate and help with the festival 17 YEARS AGO! I remember it very fondly :)