FREELANCE WRITING & PHOTOGRAPHY

Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Weekend Monday - Fun in Prospect Park


 And the Memorial Weekend fun continues...

The morning light greets us and by noon, it is 84 degrees. Even though I just showered, I am soon sticky and eager to find a shady spot in the park where I am hosting a picnic. Ai and I stop for groceries at the corner store and walk the 15 blocks to Prospect Park. It is bustling with families and couples, but we find a spot beneath a large oak tree and settle onto our blankets as we await our friends.

We are soon joined by Yuki, Nah, Cedric, Jared, Betsy, Janusz, Gary, Scott, Gary, Rebecca and Ryan.

Food, drink, laughter and conversation flows freely and easily among us all, some of whom are meeting one another for the first time. In the heat of the day and after a few mimosas, I lay down on the cool fabric of a blanket, close my eyes and am lulled to sleep, soothed by the voices of these New Yorkers who were once strangers to me, but who are now my friends. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the ease with which I am welcomed back into the heart of New York City.






No comments: