FREELANCE WRITING & PHOTOGRAPHY

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

It's All I Have to Bring Today


It's all I have to bring today
a Poem by Emily Dickinson

It's all I have to bring today-- 
This, and my heart beside-- 
This, and my heart, and all the fields-- 
And all the meadows wide-- 
Be sure you count--should I forget 
Some one the sum could tell-- 
This, and my heart, and all the Bees 
Which in the Clover dwell.

***
I really love the simple beauty of this poem.
And it resonates with me because I am still laying low due to my knee injury.

Every day, I alternate between breathing in the simple joy of being alive and finally being still enough to see, really see what is around me and screaming inside at this grounding of my physical being when I want to walk on the beach and in the woods, snowshoe, ski and move my body...

This poem returns me to the place where I am internally quiet and at peace, realizing that all I have to bring to the world today and tomorrow and the tomorrow after that is my heart.  Everything begins with my heart.

This is an important reminder as the New Year beckons with promise and possibility. 




No comments: