FREELANCE WRITING & PHOTOGRAPHY

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Streets are Paved with Pumpkins?

Just another "typical" walk home one evening, on the streets of New York City.

First, I take the wrong train and then I take the wrong exit.  I should stop referring to these times as wrong and getting lost, since these missteps are quickly becoming the norm for me. This is also what happens after a really long and full day, when I'm exhausted and not thinking properly.





Second, I'm blinded by the flash of cameras as I step from a street corner, so much so that I walk right in to the metal base of a stop sign.  While it wasn't the Paparazzi after me, it was a film crew shooting the final scene in a movie.




Third, still blinking the light out of my eyes and rubbing my bruised forehead, I notice what looks like a gigantic pumpkin sitting in the middle of the street. I think I have a concussion.
No matter how many times I blink, the pumpkin is still a pumpkin and it's still in the middle of the street.

As I get closer, I see that it is in fact a real pumpkin, a huge pumpkin.  Dawn, Carla and Thomas have brought home this 400 pound vegetable from Upstate New York and had plans to use it for Halloween.  Instead, it fell to the street and split and so they're cleaning up the seeds and pulpy flesh.  

Luckily, the magic of Halloween is not lost as they just happened to have a spare pumpkin with them, this one "just" 300 pounds.  I know where I'll be trick or treating.



 

No comments: