FREELANCE WRITING & PHOTOGRAPHY

Saturday, September 22, 2012

How to Get Kicked Out of a Coffee Shop


After being sick for so many days, I finally felt well enough to venture out for an evening of writing and people watching.  Sitting in the front area near the window looking out on to the sidewalk, I perched myself in a purple velvet chair, a hot mug of steaming coffee on the side table and a warm chocolate chip cookie nestled in the palm of my hand.

Writing and relaxing for just over an hour, the owner came over and asked how long I intended to stay.  Those were his exact words.  Immediately feeling defensive, I replied with "Until I'm done being here".  

Needless to say, I was not so kindly told that the coffee shop becomes a wine bar after 9pm on the weekends and that if I wasn't planning to drink wine, I was encouraged to return to write during the earlier hours.

Tucking my items in to my bag, I walked out, but not until after finishing what I was writing.  To make a point, I wrote slowly, about another half hour...
 

No comments: